Saturday, February 18, 2012

Style Icon In-The-Making: Lana Del Rey

Retro. Sick. Glamour.


If you haven�t heard about indie singer Lana Del Rey by now, you either live under a rock, or you�re over the age of 40. Elizabeth Grant was just another wannabe singer who released an album that failed. That was until she changed her name to Lana Del Rey, and changed her looks from jeans & a T-shirt, to a Glamazon Starlet, complete with possibly-surgically-enhanced lips. Her stunning transformation is the perfect reminder that anyone who wants to be someone needs a good stylist. Add her great sultry voice, and sexy image, and that�s what you call smart branding. She describes herself as a �gangsta Nancy Sinatra�, which is characterised by gauzy press photographs, aloof interviews, and winking hipness. This girl is simply gorgeous. I love Del Rey�s style. She is glamorous and sexy, but still gangsta with her bling chains, grills, and triple rings. Lol she�s like a 60�s pinup hood-rat! That makes sense right!?







I am dying over her debut album BORN TO DIE! I like to think of myself as a pretty diverse music listener, but indie isn�t exactly my thing. But let me tell you, I AM OBSSESSED!!! I love the dramatic, Hollywood-romance-style of the orchestral arrangement on Born To Die. On this track, her voice is deep & folksy. Kind of out-of-place. The song speaks of obsessive love & melancholia. Something most people can relate to. Definitely one of my favourite tracks.


Come and take a walk on the wild side
Let me kiss you hard in the pouring rain
You like your girls insane
Choose your last words
This is the last time
Cause You and I
We were born to die


The video for Born To Die is all very shadowy, and very moody. I think the video is so refreshing. It�s weird, artistic, and high in concept.  But as strong as her videos may be, it�s her voice that makes her. Her haunting tones and evocative lyrics strike some powerful chords with listeners.




SO? Do you love her too??

No comments:

Post a Comment