Friday, May 13, 2011

Brett's Tips for Cleaning out your Closet

Most of you ladies & some guys too can relate to today�s post: Cleaning out your closet! I constantly say things like, �I have nothing to wear� or �Hhmmm wear is that dress?� And I know I�m not the only one. So today I am going to give you some tips on how to clean out your closet, so no more wasted time spent looking for clothes before a night out, or work. Whatever the case, I hope this helps.


Set a time slot

Take a few hours and dedicate it to cleaning your closet & nothing else. No TV breaks. Just you getting organized. You can even get a friend to help so you don�t get lonely.



Bag it!

Ok so the general rule is that if you haven�t worn something in 6 months, get rid of it. Chances are you won�t be wearing it in the next 6 months. Have some dirt bags on hand so you can donate them to a charity. Discard items that are worn-out or don�t fit properly. Keep the items that are flattering to your body shape. If you feel good in something, that�s reason enough to keep it. I would keep a pen & paper handy to make notes on any staple items that need to be replaced.



Ok, so now that you have decided what you want & don�t want. It�s time to get down to the organizing. Here are the steps:

Seasonality

Separate all clothing by season. My mom is famous for this. She keeps winter clothes separate from summer clothes. And by Winter/Summer clothes I mean, there�s no point in having a heavy trench coat in the front of your closet in the middle of summer. It�s taking up space that you could use for something else.


Groups

Group together all shirts together, all skirts together and so on. If similar items are located together, it will make it easier to locate individual items.


Colour Coordinate

Now that you have groups of like items together, arrange each group according to colours. I have always done this with my t-shirts. It makes life so much easier. I know exactly where to look if I am looking for a yellow t-shirt.




If you are like me, right now you have piles of clothes everywhere. That�s how I do things. I empty my closet & then start from scratch. Anyway, now it�s time to get to putting everything back into your closet. Invest in strong plastic, wooden or padded hangers. The last things you want in your closet are shabby wire hangers.




The last words of wisdom I will leave you with are to clean out your closet about twice a year. You want your closet to always be current, and fresh. Also, full-length mirrors are great anywhere near, on or in your closet. When you are getting dressed you will notice any loose threads, missing buttons etc.


Hope this was of some help to you. Remember it�s about what works for you & your lifestyle. If you only want to do the colour coordinating, that�s awesome. It will still help you a lot.


 
Remember, an organised closet means you will get dressed quicker!

No comments:

Post a Comment